Sunday, September 11, 2011

Are we not all beggars?

Today I was reminded in both a talk at church and in my own study of the scriptures the words of King Benjamin in the Book of Mormon. "For behold, are we not all abeggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?"

In light of the 9/11 attacks and other thoughts I have been having, this verse struck a deep chord in me. We are all so interconnected and part of one another, and yet it seems that that is almost an irregular way we look at one another. Rather then being united under God, we are separated and divisible by all. I think that with the perspective that King Benjamin gives it becomes much easier to help another person find joy and success - when we realize that our own blessing have not come by the labor of our own hands, but from above. Don't we rely on Him for every breath? Why then do we so often feel we have fallen short, or we can never succeed- when really if we are doing his will we can do anything? It is easy to get down on ourselves, but also it can be tempting to attribute all good things we have obtained to our own abilities. This simple verse says a great deal.

This video is one that Brandon and I made. This group - House of Hope Provo - is a great example of people reaching out to others. These are people that many of us have given up on, and figured have no place in our daily lives or even in our society. What do you think of the vid?


Zoe is a remarkable person and I really enjoyed the interaction that I had with her. I know that B feels the same as I do, it was a privilege and great learning experience to create this film and we hope many people can be uplifted by it.

2 comments:

  1. Grey,
    THose were beautiful shots of her with her little boy. I loved the lighting of the sun on them. So nice! This is Nicki. . .

    ReplyDelete